Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2019

Long Card & DIY Matching Envelope

We had lots of messages after we made the templates for the regular size envelopes. Most everyone wanted to know how to make the envelopes for the long cards. So we have done those calculations and here you go. Hope this helps everyone. You know after making this envelope and long card I am loving long cards. I think I may be making more of them soon. 



This card is 4 1/2"x8" when it is finished. 

You will start off with a piece of cardstock that is 8"x8" and I wanted mine off set at the bottom so I scored mine at 3 1/2" this gave me a little big longer back than front. I added a piece of white paper on the inside for the writing that is 3 1/2x7 1/2" and the piece at the top is 3 1/2x8" I used my punch and made a decorative edge on this that I left showing just a little on the outside.  

The flowers on the front are just from some various dies I have that will be linked below the video if I can find them.

Now we are ready for the envelope.

The way you calculate the size of the paper you will need for the envelope is as follows.

Take the length of your card, (8") and add 1 1/2" so your paper would be 9 1/2" wide. Then to get the high of your paper take the finished high of the card times 2 and then add 2" for the flap. 
Example (my card is 4 1/2"x2 = 9" + 2" = 11" so the height of your paper would be 11".

Overall paper size is 9 1/2"x11"

Then on the 9 1/2" side you will need to score at 1/2" on both sides. So whatever size your paper is score at 1/2" turn to the other side and score at 1/2". 

Turn your paper to the 11" side and score the height of your card, in my case mine is 4 1/2", then you will add the height of your card again plus 1/2" to give the back a little extra height than the front. So in my case I then scored at 9 1/2". This leaves me with 1 1/2" flap. If you want your flap to be larger then just add more inches onto the paper size. 

I hope this makes sense if not try to watch the video and read this along with it. I promise it will make more sense then lol. 

Thanks so much. E





1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much!!! Lovely card. I'm just now getting into making longer cards and I appreciate all of the measurements!!! Hope to see more in the future.

    ReplyDelete